Loaning/Borrowing Books

Booking Through Thursday‘s weekly meme asks…

Do you lend your books? Are any out on loan right now? Do you have any that have been loaned to you? Do you put a time limit on these? Do you think people should make an effort to read the loaned book quickly?

First, let me admit:  I am a book addict.  Not even a recovering one.  There.  I said it.  Again.

Because of this addiction, I only lend books to those I know will return them:  family, students who are avid readers, some peers (they tend to be book lovers, too, so I understand their addictions).  I re-learned several years ago, when our district invested in in-class libraries, which students will return books:  those who appreciate another’s love of reading.  These are the students to whom I offer books; I want them to enjoy the novels as I have.

As a matter of fact, I truly would rather purchase and give than to loan and possibly never recover this literary friend of mine.  Plus, giving books away is just fun.  This week, I gave a teacher friend an extra copy of Poems by Adolescents and Adults:  A Thematic Collection for Middle School and High School (I ordered another one when I could not find my original), so I shared. (We are considering using some of this poetry in a common unit we will be teaching later.)

As for borrowing books, this I rarely do.  I am, also, an annotator.  I enjoy, appreciate even, making the book mine, which simply means I need my own copy of a book.  Just this week, I stopped by our literacy coach’s room to ask about borrowing a pd book…I wanted to skim/scan the content before determining if I should invest the $30 cost of the book.

When Mrs. Lisa said, “You may have this book,” well, my heart probably skipped a beat!  You just do not say those words to a book addict without really meaning every single word.  YOU. May. HAVE. This. BOOK.  !!! (I had to go back and thank her the next day, for, later, in my excitement, I could not even remember if I had any manners!)

Then, I questioned, “Are you sure?  For if the book is mine, I will write in it.”

“Yes, you can have that one.”

Thank you, Mrs. Lisa!  (By the way, the title is Adolescents on the Edge and contains a CD of the author Jimmy Santiago Baca sharing his  poetry…yes, she saved me $30!)

Another book I recently borrowed, Enter Three Witches, a parallel text to Macbeth, became mine this week, when owner/peer teacher GAVE me the book after I mentioned that I needed to return it, for I had not gotten to this one in my TBR stack (to-be-read).  Thank you, Mrs. Kathy!  You, too, made my week!

This truly has been a good week!  Two books received free and one freely given.